Makes about 2 quarts
- 2 1/3 lbs (1 k) apricots-washed, pitted and sliced in half
- 12 apricot pits
Apricot pits must be cracked open and the brown skin around the seed must be removed. Placing the seed in rapidly boiling water will facilitate this. Crush the seeds. To preserve all of their essences the seeds are often crushed in the bottom of the crock before any of the other ingredients are added.
- 8 2/3 cups (2 l) l’eau de vie
- 1 1/2 cups (350 g) granulated sugar
- 2 2” pieces of cinnamon bark
- 1 tsp of cloves
- Place the apricots, crushed pits, sugar and cinnamon into a lidded stone crock.
- Add the l’eau-de-vie and cover. Store in a cool dry place for at least 30 days, shaking occasionally.
- Pour the contents of the crock through a strainer into a catch basin, discard the solids. Filter through paper or muslin and bottle. Aging requires a minimum of four months.