Walnut Wine Aperitif
- Makes about 5 quarts
- 14 oz (400 g) walnut leaves or 40 walnuts-shelled and crushed
- 2 cloves
- 4 1/3 quarts (4 l) hearty red AOC wine
- 4 1/3 cups (1 l) l’eau-de-vie
- 2 lbs (900 g) granulated sugar
- Wash the leaves gently in several changes of water, drain, and place in a 6-quart (6 l) stone crock. Alternatively, crack the walnut shells, crush the meat, and place the nuts in a 6-quart stone crock.
- Pour the wine, l’eau-de-vie into the crock, then add the sugar. Seal, shake and store in a dry cool place for 40 days. Shake the jar from time to time.
- Pour the contents of the crock through a strainer into a catch bowl and discard the solids. Pour the liquid through a paper filter or muslin into the crock. The wine may now be bottled and corked or preserved in mason jars for at least 30 days.